Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Impatient Gamers and my rambles about them

Best Blogger Tips
I have a pet peeve. Impatient Spiral Knight players.

For those of you who don't know, Spiral Knights is a massively multiplayer online role-playing game...I suppose I could have just said "MMO", but I am definitely trying to sound nerdier than I actually am. Is it working? heh.

Basically, you run around as a little Knight character you've created (mine's name is Junit) killing toaster-looking creatures, jelly cubes and various other villains. When you're not in the midst of battle, you can trade things with other players, improve your weapons and...well, not much else.

Tonight I played a little. Nothing major, just you know, sharpened the good ol' Tempered Caliber a bit.
Considering the boyfriend was asleep I decided to play a little on my own and since I didn't want to venture into the depths of battle alone...I created a "team" and invited random other people to join.

Two guys joined my little Knight posse. I could instantly tell their equipment far surpassed mine; it was much shiner and much much larger. At first glance my mind started wondering how their little knight arms could carry such large metal swords? I also found it funny that the Knight with the giant blue shocking sword was wearing a cowboy hat. A cowboy hat? Really? Who are you trying to be Mr. Knight Cowboy? Sir King Arthur John Wayne?

Whatever.
Who am I to judge. I suppose my Knight has pink eyeballs and a stylish pumpkin bomb belt...so I can't judge too much.


(See, isn't she CUTE!?) 

Alright, so anyways. We began playing and almost instantly I could tell Sir Arthur John Wayne and I were going to have a problem. Sure he was a super awesome player with a big giant super awesome shocky sword...but he was impatient and I found it rather annoying to fight toasters with him. He'd run off ahead of the posse; leaving treasure behind, boxes un-opened and nooks n' crannies unexplored. It was almost like he was saying "Pssh...look at me and my big shiny shocky sword! I don't need any of that stuff and I'll blow right through this level just to show you how awesome I am." Over and over he'd run off ahead of  the rest of us and he'd sit waiting at the elevator (the area that takes you to the next level) typing "hurry up" "you don't need anything else" "come to the elevator" "you guys are SUPER BORING" "n00bs" etc. etc. etc. 

I wanted to take his cowboy hat and feed it to the fire breathing toasters, but, instead I found myself trying desperately to keep up with him, to play the game the way he wanted me to. I realized about 20 minutes into playing that I was actually severely frustrated and simply clicked out of the game. It wasn't fun. It wasn't a relaxing evening of blowing up jelly-cubes. No. It had become a competition for all of us to get through the quickest, to seem the most experienced. Soon after I exited out of the game, sorely disappointed in the way the virtual evening ensued...

Of course, you know me...I had to sit awhile and figure out why in the world I was so annoyed, and I came to this conclusion: Sir Arthur John Wayne... reminded me of myself.

I've been told a lot "you're rushing through life kid." "You're impatient" "You're going to look back and wish you had stopped and smelled the roses." "Why don't you slow down a little!" as absolutely ludicrous as it sounds, I didn't realize something until this night of playing a stupid knight game. Maybe they're right? I have gone through some things very quickly in life. I've known where I've wanted to be...so in a sense...I've rushed a little to get there. Now that I'm thinking about it, I wonder how many friends would tell me at different times I've acted like this pushy cowboy-knight guy did tonight? Hurry up! Hurry up! Let's go!

Whew. That's a tough pill to swallow. 

I think this season in my life is really teaching me to SLOW DOWN...to explore what the journey holds, to not just rush through life like my knight teammate did tonight. Overall...TO TRUST JESUS. I want to put some roots down, invest into people and take my sweeeeeet time in this next chapter of life. It's exciting really, I'm ready for this next adventure.

I'm ready to slow down and smell the roses a little....to enjoy where I am and the people around me. 

Sweet dreams and best wishes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey friends! Share some thoughts:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...