Tuesday, October 4, 2011

I want to be a Jewel. Do you?

Best Blogger Tips
Wow. You know, you really shouldn't eat Sour Patch Kid candies while you're in the middle of a once-a-day, 14 day, 3D Crest white strip treatment for your teeth. (That was quite the sentence if I do say so myself.) 


I feel like a invisible gremlin is driving razor sharp toothpicks into the roots of my precious bicuspids.


I'm not sure if it's normal to feel this much sensitivity during a whitening treatment? Perhaps my teeth will fall out. Maybe I should have just been happy with the slightly dingy yellowness? That's better than having no teeth at all. 


*sigh*


The things we do for beauty. 

Well, I came on here to actually write about something, so I suppose I should get started. *ehhem* Here we go! 



So today I have a day off from work. I'm not quite sure what to do with myself. I've folded two loads of laundry, thought about cleaning my car (but then thought better of it), chased a giant herd of crows out of my grandparents yard (which was as exciting as it sounds), painted two toenails and am now just...sitting. 


Isn't it funny the way we get uncomfortable about not doing anything? It's like we can't stand the sheer presence of just being with ourselves, of being still, of being quiet in the moment. I'll be the first one to admit, when I have nothing to do- the first thing I do is grab my computer...to find something to do.To fill up my time with endless meaningless. Facebook, ridiculous geeky websites, Email....the list goes on.  


It's kind of sad really. 


This weekend I was working a conference in San Deigo with JCTV. While I was there, I had extremely limited time on the web and a few occasional moments of "free time." During these times, I found myself sitting in my hotel room- extremely uncomfortable with the thought of, "Wow, I have absolutely nothing to do." 


A few times, I turned on the TV and watched brain nomming shows ("Behind Prison Walls" was extremely fascinating...I learned how to tattoo the whites of my eyeballs) - that got old quickly though. Then I read all the hotel information pamphlets I could find, walked up and down the hotel halls and rode the elevator just to hear the dinging noise. *Ding* *Ding* It was a joy, really. 


Finally, after I was finished with my hotel adventures, I retreated back to my room, sat on my bed and opened the desk drawer. As I was expecting, there was a hardly opened, hard-back Gideon Bible waiting eagerly for someone to crack open its' binding. Today was its' lucky day. 


I flipped open the bible to Proverbs 31. It's a chapter we all know well I'm sure - "The Virtuous Woman/a Wife of Noble Character." 


I'm going to put verses 10- 31 below, feel free to read them if you would like: 


Epilogue: The Wife of Noble Character
 10 A wife of noble character who can find?
   She is worth far more than rubies.
11 Her husband has full confidence in her
   and lacks nothing of value.
12 She brings him good, not harm,
   all the days of her life.
13 She selects wool and flax
   and works with eager hands.
14 She is like the merchant ships,
   bringing her food from afar.
15 She gets up while it is still night;
   she provides food for her family
   and portions for her female servants.
16 She considers a field and buys it;
   out of her earnings she plants a vineyard.
17 She sets about her work vigorously;
   her arms are strong for her tasks.
18 She sees that her trading is profitable,
   and her lamp does not go out at night.
19 In her hand she holds the distaff
   and grasps the spindle with her fingers.
20 She opens her arms to the poor
   and extends her hands to the needy.
21 When it snows, she has no fear for her household;
   for all of them are clothed in scarlet.
22 She makes coverings for her bed;
   she is clothed in fine linen and purple.
23 Her husband is respected at the city gate,
   where he takes his seat among the elders of the land.
24 She makes linen garments and sells them,
   and supplies the merchants with sashes.
25 She is clothed with strength and dignity;
   she can laugh at the days to come.
26 She speaks with wisdom,
   and faithful instruction is on her tongue.
27 She watches over the affairs of her household
   and does not eat the bread of idleness.
28 Her children arise and call her blessed;
   her husband also, and he praises her:
29 “Many women do noble things,
   but you surpass them all.”
30 Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;
   but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.
31 Honor her for all that her hands have done,
   and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.





These verses permeated my soul. I was repulsed with myself actually- at the thought of all the time I've wasted throughout these years on meaningless moment wasters. "She sets about her work vigorously; her arms are strong for her tasks." "She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness. Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her: “Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all.” 


I want to be this kind of woman. When I have things to do, I want to make sure I'm doing them with the correct heart motive. Furthermore, when I have nothing to do, I want to be more intentional about finding something "non-idle" to do, something with meaning. Even if it just means using my "down-time" in a more intentional way. Instead of Facebook stalking Sally's pregnant belly pictures, maybe I'll leave an encouraging comment on a old friends wall. How can I be a constant woman of virtue, a noble woman - throughout ALL of my daily tasks? It's something I've been pondering these past couple of days....


"A wife of noble character who can find? 
She is worth far more than rubies."

Yesterday, a friend of mine said to me; "Christi, you are a jewel. A JEWEL." I stopped dead in my tracks. Now, I've been called many nicknames before; silly things, cute things, meaningful things...but nothing quite so heart-permeating. It was a reminder that the cry of my heart is to be a Proverbs 31 woman - a Jewel worth far more than rubies. Not only for myself, but for those I am daily in contact with. For my family, for my friends, for my future husband and for my Lord and Savior. I desperately want to be that Jewel and I'm so grateful that someone noticed my striving and took a moment out of their time to let me know.

What are you doing today? 
Or, I guess the better question should be...how are you going about doing the tasks in your day today? 


Lots of Love,


3 comments:

  1. You go Proverbs girl....I have no doubt you will make an amazing wife & mom....you keep continuing on down this path of seeking Gods face and His beautiful word in all you do Christi!! You are tooooooo incredible girl!! Our Jesus is proud of His little girl here on earth! Love you sweet child! I support and encourage you in this endeavor....wish I had strived for it earlier in life! How our life changes for the better when we give ALL we are to Him....all the time....in all ways!! .....BUT GOD!!!!! :) HE IS SO GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darby,
    Thank you :)
    You are such an encouragement!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Christi,

    Your writing and the testimony of the Lord’s faithfulness blessed my socks off. I am so excited for you… to hear the richness of His Word as it is speaking into your heart. Keep pursuing the Master and keep Him as your “First Love”. You are a wonderful young woman. Thank you for your inspirational writing.

    ReplyDelete

Hey friends! Share some thoughts:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...